- My Career Path
- Technical Writers
Also called : Documentation Designer, Documentation Specialist, Engineering Writer, Information Developer, Medical Writer, Narrative Writer, Requirements Analyst, Technical Communicator, Technical Writer
What they do
Write technical materials, such as equipment manuals, appendices, or operating and maintenance instructions. May assist in layout work.
On the job, one would
- Organize material and complete writing assignment according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology.
- Maintain records and files of work and revisions.
- Edit, standardize, or make changes to material prepared by other writers or establishment personnel.
- Select photographs, drawings, sketches, diagrams, and charts to illustrate material.
- Interview production and engineering personnel and read journals and other material to become familiar with product technologies and production methods.
- English Language
Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics
Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
Knowledge of administrative and office procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and workplace terminology.
- Administration and Management
Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension
Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
- Active Listening
Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking
Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Written Expression
The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
- Written Comprehension
The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Near Vision
The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Oral Comprehension
The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Deductive Reasoning
The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
People interested in this work, will do well at jobs that need;
- Attention to Detail
Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
Job requires being honest and ethical.
Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
Job requires developing one's own ways of doing things, guiding oneself with little or no supervision, and depending on oneself to get things done.
Job requires a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
Job requires establishing and maintaining personally challenging achievement goals and exerting effort toward mastering tasks.
Job requires persistence in the face of obstacles.
Job requires being open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace.
Job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
- Analytical or scientific software
- Application server software
- Cloud-based data access and sharing software
- Computer aided design CAD software
- Computer based training software
- Configuration management software
- Content workflow software
- Data base reporting software
- Data base user interface and query software
- Data mining software
- Desktop communications software
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
Considerable Preparation Needed
Four-year bachelor degree
A considerable amount of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupation
Employees in these occupations usually need several years of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training.