- My Career Path
- Public Relations Specialists
Public Relations Specialists
Also called : Communications Specialist, Corporate Communications Specialist, Media Relations Specialist, Public Affairs Specialist, Public Information Officer, Public Information Specialist, Public Relations Coor
What they do
Promote or create an intended public image for individuals, groups, or organizations. May write or select material for release to various communications media. May specialize in using social media.
On the job, one would
- Respond to requests for information from the media or designate an appropriate spokesperson or information source.
- Write press releases or other media communications to promote clients.
- Establish or maintain cooperative relationships with representatives of community, consumer, employee, or public interest groups.
- Plan or direct development or communication of programs to maintain favorable public or stockholder perceptions of an organization's accomplishments, agenda, or environmental responsibility.
- Study the objectives, promotional policies, or needs of organizations to develop public relations strategies that will influence public opinion or promote ideas, products, or services.
- Communications and Media
Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- English Language
Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Sales and Marketing
Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Customer and Personal Service
Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Active Listening
Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Social Perceptiveness
Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Time Management
Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Oral Comprehension
The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Oral Expression
The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Speech Clarity
The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
- Written Expression
The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
- Speech Recognition
The ability to identify and understand the speech of another person.
People interested in this work, will do well at jobs that need;
Job requires being honest and ethical.
- Attention to Detail
Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
Job requires persistence in the face of obstacles.
Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
- Stress Tolerance
Job requires accepting criticism and dealing calmly and effectively with high-stress situations.
Job requires a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
Job requires being open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace.
Job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
Job requires establishing and maintaining personally challenging achievement goals and exerting effort toward mastering tasks.
- Cloud-based data access and sharing software
- Customer relationship management CRM software
- Data base reporting software
- Data base user interface and query software
- Data mining software
- Desktop communications software
- Desktop publishing software
- Development environment software
- Document management software
- Electronic mail software
- Graphics or photo imaging software
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
Considerable Preparation Needed
Four-year bachelor degree
A considerable amount of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupation
Employees in these occupations usually need several years of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training.