- My Career Path
- First-Line Supervisors of Office and Administrative Support Workers
First-Line Supervisors of Office and Administrative Support Workers
Also called : Accounting Manager, Accounts Payable Supervisor, Accounts Receivable Manager, Administrative Supervisor, Customer Service Manager, Customer Service Supervisor, Office Coordinator, Office Manager, Off
What they do
Directly supervise and coordinate the activities of clerical and administrative support workers.
On the job, one would
- Supervise the work of office, administrative, or customer service employees to ensure adherence to quality standards, deadlines, and proper procedures, correcting errors or problems.
- Resolve customer complaints or answer customers' questions regarding policies and procedures.
- Provide employees with guidance in handling difficult or complex problems or in resolving escalated complaints or disputes.
- Review records or reports pertaining to activities such as production, payroll, or shipping to verify details, monitor work activities, or evaluate performance.
- Discuss job performance problems with employees to identify causes and issues and to work on resolving problems.
- Administration and Management
Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Customer and Personal Service
Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
Knowledge of administrative and office procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and workplace terminology.
- English Language
Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Active Listening
Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Reading Comprehension
Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
- Social Perceptiveness
Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Oral Comprehension
The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Oral Expression
The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Written Comprehension
The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Speech Clarity
The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
- Speech Recognition
The ability to identify and understand the speech of another person.
People interested in this work, will do well at jobs that need;
Job requires being honest and ethical.
Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
Job requires a willingness to lead, take charge, and offer opinions and direction.
Job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
- Attention to Detail
Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Concern for Others
Job requires being sensitive to others' needs and feelings and being understanding and helpful on the job.
- Stress Tolerance
Job requires accepting criticism and dealing calmly and effectively with high-stress situations.
Job requires establishing and maintaining personally challenging achievement goals and exerting effort toward mastering tasks.
Job requires being open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace.
Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
- Access software
- Accounting software
- Analytical or scientific software
- Business intelligence and data analysis software
- Calendar and scheduling software
- Cloud-based data access and sharing software
- Communications server software
- Computer based training software
- Customer relationship management CRM software
- Data base reporting software
- Data base user interface and query software
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
Medium Preparation Needed
Training in vocational schools or an Associate deg
Previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required for these occupations.
Employees in these occupations usually need one or two years of training involving both on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced workers.