- My Career Path
- Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders
Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders
Also called : Certified Refrigeration Operator, Compressor Operator, Engine Room Operator, Freezer Operator, Freezer Person, Ice Cream Maker, Machine Operator, Refrigeration Operator, Refrigeration Technician
What they do
Operate or tend equipment such as cooling and freezing units, refrigerators, batch freezers, and freezing tunnels, to cool or freeze products, food, blood plasma, and chemicals.
On the job, one would
- Record temperatures, amounts of materials processed, or test results on report forms.
- Monitor pressure gauges, ammeters, flowmeters, thermometers, or products, and adjust controls to maintain specified conditions, such as feed rate, product consistency, temperature, air pressure, and machine speed.
- Read dials and gauges on panel control boards to ascertain temperatures, alkalinities, and densities of mixtures, and turn valves to obtain specified mixtures.
- Start machinery, such as pumps, feeders, or conveyors, and turn valves to heat, admit, or transfer products, refrigerants, or mixes.
- Correct machinery malfunctions by performing actions such as removing jams, and inform supervisors of malfunctions as necessary.
- Production and Processing
Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- English Language
Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Food Production
Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Operations Monitoring
Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control
Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Critical Thinking
Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving
Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Near Vision
The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Problem Sensitivity
The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing that there is a problem.
- Deductive Reasoning
The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Arm-Hand Steadiness
The ability to keep your hand and arm steady while moving your arm or while holding your arm and hand in one position.
- Perceptual Speed
The ability to quickly and accurately compare similarities and differences among sets of letters, numbers, objects, pictures, or patterns. The things to be compared may be presented at the same time or one after the other. This ability also includes comparing a presented object with a remembered object.
People interested in this work, will do well at jobs that need;
- Attention to Detail
Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
Job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
Job requires being honest and ethical.
Job requires a willingness to lead, take charge, and offer opinions and direction.
Job requires a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
Job requires being open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace.
Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
Job requires establishing and maintaining personally challenging achievement goals and exerting effort toward mastering tasks.
- Concern for Others
Job requires being sensitive to others' needs and feelings and being understanding and helpful on the job.
- Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating, and Still Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Crushing, Grinding, and Polishing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Electronic mail software
- Presentation software
- Spreadsheet software
- Word processing software
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
Some Preparation Needed
High school diploma.
Some previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is usually needed.
Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees. A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with these occupations.