- My Career Path
- Career/Technical Education Teachers, Middle School
Career/Technical Education Teachers, Middle School
Also called : Business Education Teacher, Business Teacher, Career and Technology Education Teacher (CTE Teacher), Computer Teacher, Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher (FACS Teacher), Industrial Arts Teacher, In
What they do
Teach occupational, vocational, career, or technical subjects to students at the middle, intermediate, or junior high school level.
On the job, one would
- Instruct students individually and in groups, using various teaching methods, such as lectures, discussions, and demonstrations.
- Prepare materials and classrooms for class activities.
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests.
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among students.
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects and communicate those objectives to students.
- English Language
Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training
Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Computers and Electronics
Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening
Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Teaching others how to do something.
- Learning Strategies
Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Reading Comprehension
Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
- Oral Expression
The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Oral Comprehension
The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Speech Clarity
The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
- Written Comprehension
The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Deductive Reasoning
The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
People interested in this work, will do well at jobs that need;
Job requires being honest and ethical.
- Concern for Others
Job requires being sensitive to others' needs and feelings and being understanding and helpful on the job.
Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
Job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
Job requires being open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace.
- Attention to Detail
Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
Job requires a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Stress Tolerance
Job requires accepting criticism and dealing calmly and effectively with high-stress situations.
Job requires developing one's own ways of doing things, guiding oneself with little or no supervision, and depending on oneself to get things done.
- Analytical or scientific software
- Application server software
- Business intelligence and data analysis software
- Calendar and scheduling software
- Cloud-based data access and sharing software
- Cloud-based management software
- Computer based training software
- Configuration management software
- Customer relationship management CRM software
- Data base management system software
- Data base user interface and query software
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
Considerable Preparation Needed
Four-year bachelor degree
A considerable amount of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupation
Employees in these occupations usually need several years of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training.